Before I go any further, I need to make it clear. Bánh Tráng Me (Bánh Da) is not the same with banh trang. Bánh Tráng Me (Bánh Ða) is not the rice paper for wrapping the spring roll or summer roll. Also, the complete Bánh Tráng Me must be crispy like crackers. You either can put it in microwave, on grill or bake, but do not fry with oil, boil nor dip it in water. There is another Bánh Tráng Me; it has shrimp and sesame seed on it, Bánh Ða Tôm.
I found banh trang me taste slightly similar to kerupuk upil (Javanese crackers that are cooked/fried in hot sand) and usually is enjoyed with petis (shrimp paste). As the package is said, put a piece of banh trang me in your microwave and heat up for a minute. However, I did heat up for a minute ten seconds.
This recipe goes for a Delicious Vietnam #9 which is hosted by myself. Thanks to Food Lover’s Journey and Ravenous Couple for creating this lovely event. This event has made me spend more time to learn about Vietnamese cooking.
Hến Xào Xúc Bánh Tráng (Bánh Ða)
Vietnamese Stir Fried Baby Clams with Sesame Rice Crackers
· 1 package of frozen baby clams (about 400 g, thawed, rinsed and drained
· ½ cup minced lemongrass*
· 15 Thai red chilies, finely chopped
· 3 shallots, minced
· 1 teaspoon Vietnamese yellow curry powder (optional)**
· 2 teaspoons oyster sauce (optional)**
· 2 tablespoons cooking oil
· fish sauce, adjust adjust to taste
· fish mint, finely chopped
· Vietnamese coriander (ngo gai, pak chee farang), finely chopped
· banh trang me (sesame rice cracker), heat up in a microwave for a minute 10 seconds
1. In a wok with high heat, add cooking oil.
2. Add shallot, minced lemongrass and red chilies. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the clams and stir vigorously to cook and dry up any excess remaining water from the clams.
4. Add yellow curry powder and oyster sauce. Mix well.
5. Add fish sauce. Taste before removing the wok from the heat and add more if needed to adjust to taste.
6. Add Vietnamese coriander and fish mint and cook for another minute
7. Remove from heat
8. Enjoy by scooping the stir fry with banh trang (banh da).
* Minced lemongrass can be found in the frozen package at Asian grocers.
** Oyster sauce and yellow curry powder can be omitted.