The only challenge I got when I tried to recreate Rica Rodo was sourcing fresh turmeric leaves which I substituted with dry form of turmeric leaves. I’m glad I resourced dried turmeric leaves from one Indonesian food importer in Vancouver.
You can make this dish as a strict vegan or add cakalang fufu (smoked skipjack tuna) as what I did.
Manado foods are known to be the most spicy foods in the country due the use of chilies amount in cooking. Also they use many other protein ingredients that are very common to be used in Indonesian cooking such as bats, rats and many more.
In the past, I have made some Manado foods such as Panada (Tuna Stuffed Bread/Pastry), Cakalang Pampis (Skipjack Tuna Floss), Es Brenebon (Red Kidney Bean and Chocolate with Shaved Ice), Ayam Garo Rica (Chili and Lime Basil Chicken), Sup Brenebon (Red Kidney Bean Soup), Pepes Ikan Woku (Woku Spiced Fish Wrapped in Banana Leaves), and Kerapu Rica-Rica (Grilled Spicy Grouper).
Not only the foods that are flavourful from this region, the province is very beautiful as well.
Manado Style Stir Fry Vegetables
- 3 Japanese eggplants, angle cut or slice with 2.54 cm or 1 inch thick
- 15 pods of Chinese long beans, cut into 2.54 cm or 1 inch long
- 1 ear of sweet corn, take kernels only
- 2 pieces of cakalang fufu (smoked skipjack tuna)
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 8 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 10 bird eye’s chilies or Thai chili peppers, slitted
- 1/2 green tomatoes, sliced
- 2 lemongrasses, bruised
- 3 cm or 1 1/5 inch length ginger, bruised
- 2 dried turmeric leaves (if you use fresh one, use 1 and slice thinly)
- 1 pandan leaves
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, discard the midrib and torn
- a handful of kemangi (lemon basil)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
If you don’t have kemangi or turmeric leaves, leave them out. No need to substitute.
- At medium high heat, heat up the wok and add oil. Once, oil is hot enough, stir in lemongrass, pandan leaf, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric leaves and kaffir lime leaves. Cook until the fragrant smells out.
- Add in shallots, chilies and ginger. Season with salt.
- Stir in corn kernels, long beans, eggplant and cakalang. Continue to cook and cover with a lid for couple minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Throw in kemangi and mix. Taste and season with salt if you need to.
Some eggplant or corn recipes for your idea:
- Crah Boh Trueng (Aceh Style Stir Fry Eggplant and Long Beans with Asam Sunti)
- Pecel Terong Tempe (Surabaya Steamed Eggplants and Tempe with Spiced Coconut Milk Sauce)
- Gulai Daun Ubi Tumbuk Recipe (Mandailing Crushed Cassava Leaves Curry)
- Balado, The Tangy Chili Sambal from West Sumatra
- Binte Biluhuta Recipe (Milu Siram – Gorontalo Corn Soup)
- Sredeg Recipe (Corns in A Cup)
- Dadar Jagung (Indonesian Corn Fritters)
SELAMAT MAKAN🇮🇩!!! EET SMAKELIJK 🇳🇱!!!