Pesan Be Pasih is a Balinese way to cook fish that is covered with spices then wrapped in banana leaves and grilled Actually Pesan Be Pasih is made from Base Cenik (Base Genep = Base Cenik + Wewangen). However, Base Genep which is more completed compare to Base Cenik (Small Base Genep), we can always turn Base genep into Pesan Be Pasih.
The key of this Pesan is preparing your Base Genep. It’s worth to make this basic spice paste a head of time.
In Indonesia, there are few names for grilled protein that is wrapped in banana leaves:
- Pepes in Indonesian
- Brengkesan in Javanese
- Brengkes in South Sumatran
- Pais in Sundanese
- Palai in Minangkabau
- Payeh in Acehnese.
Since, I don’t add gula aren (palm sugar) in the making process of Base Genep, I needed to add a tablespoon of gula aren to Base Genep. Additionally, kaffir lime leaves, Indonesian bay (salam) leaves, belimbing sayur (bilimbi) and bangle root (Zingiber cassumunar; plai (ไพล) in Thailand, wan-fai (ว่านไฟ) in Isan language, Northern Thai Language). In this Pesan, I skipped bangle as I don’t have any access to to this cousin of Galangal.
Pesan Be Pasih Genep
Bali Grilled Fish with Genep Spices and Wrapped in Banana Leaves
- 227 grams (1/2 lb) whole fish or fish fillets
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) base genep
- 1 tablespoon gula aren (Indonesian palm sugar)
- 4 dried Indonesian bay (salam) leaves, soaked in warm water
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tablepoon ground red chilies
- 4 Thai chilies, slitted
- 5 belimbing sayur (bilimbi), sliced
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- banana leaves to wrap
- toothpicks to secure banana leaves
- Combine base genep with palm sugar, ground red chilie, Indonesian bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, Thai chilies and bilimbi.
- Season the fish with salt before dress it with the mixture base genep.
- Wrap in banana leaves and grill for about 15 minutes or until done.
Some Indonesian Foods that wrapped in Banana Leaves:
- Payeh Bileh (Spiced Anchovies Wrapped in Banana Leaves – Aceh Style)
- Pepes Ikan Woku (Manado Woku Spiced Fish Wrapped in Banana Leaves)
- Pepes Jamur: Sunda Steamed Mushroom
SELAMAT MAKAN🇮🇩!!! EET SMAKELIJK 🇳🇱!!!