As you read my post of Szechuan egglants earlier, you will find a different way to prepare eggplant in this recipe. I found out, it made the eggplant not too mushy but still soft. By soaking in salted water then brush hot bean sauce (Indonesian: tauco pedas) on each eggplant slices before bake, and ready to cook with other ingredients.
My very own recipe
1 long Japanese eggplants, angle cut with 1 inch thick
1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup and 2 tbsp hot bean sauce
1/2 cup stock/water
2 green onions, finely sliced
3 tsp sesame oil
1. Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F.
2. Soak eggplant slices in warm salted water for 20 minutes. Drain.
3. Layer baking pan with baking sheet. Put eggplant slice on baking pan, brush 1/4 cup of hot bean sauce on each eggplant slices. Bake for 20 minutes or until softened.
4. Saute garlic and ginger until fragrant. Turn down to low heat, add remaining hot bean sauce and eggplants, stir well.
5. Add water, let cook and stir until water evaporates.