This dish is named after the island of Bali, which some pople do not realize is part of Indonesia. This lack of knowledge often upsets me.
This is one of my comfort food. Absolutely spicy!!!
|Category:||Fish and Shellfish|
• 500 grams fish (you can use red snapper, mackerel, pomfret, milkfish, grouper, cod or seabass; I myself added seabass fillets)
• 1 lemongrass, bruised
• 1 cm galangal, bruised
• 2 salam (Indonesian bay) leaves
• 3 kaffir lime leaves
• 1 lime, squeeze to get the juice
• 1 tbsp Indonesian sweet soy sauce
• 1 tsp water
• 200 ml water
• oil, to stir sry
Spices to grind/puree:
• 5 red chilies, disacard the seed (I subtituted for sambal ulek)
• 8 shallots
• 4 gloves garlics
• 4 candlenuts
• 1 cm ginger
• salt as desired
• Drizzle lime juice over and rub salt on the fillets. Set aside and let stand for 30 minutes. Clean with tap water and drain.
• Stir fry pureed/ground spices until fragrant, add galangal, lemongrass, salam leaves and kaffir lime leaves; stir evenly. Add water and Indonesian sweet soy sauce.
• Add the fillet, cook until fish broth comes out, the spices arbsorbs and thicken. Remove from heat.
• Serve with warm rice or nasi kuning